Saturday, May 7, 2011

Homemade Play Dough Recipe- Fun, Cheap, Non-toxic, and Completely Chemical Free!

Hi Everybody! 

First off, I'd like to apologize that my posts have been lacking a little over the last few days.  We've been CRAZY busy and it's been hard to make any blogging time!  But the good news is, our busyness is finally letting up a little!

Tonight, I've got a great little recipe for you.  It's for homemade play dough.  I've made this dough several times, and it is really awesome!  The kids I babysit for give it two thumbs up!  Moms- this will be your Mother's Day gift from me to you!  You and your kids can not only play with this the dough that this recipe yields, but you can make the recipe together.  It's a great way to spend some quality time!  Keep in mind that you do cook the dough on the stove, so helping with that part isn't suited for little kids.

Homemade Play Dough
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup water
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. food coloring


Combine flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a saucepan.  Gradually stir in water, oil, and food coloring.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until a ball forms.  Immediately remove from heat and knead until smooth (as soon as your hands can take the heat!).  Makes one really good-sized ball of dough.


For extra fun, try mixing in different extracts to add some scent!  I've used almond extract, just because I had it handy, but I think that using mint extract in green dough, orange extract in orange dough, or lemon extract in yellow dough, etc. would be great!  You can also add glitter to spice it up a little. 

Enjoy this recipe!  Let me know how it turns out for you!  I can't wait to hear what dough variations you make! 

Happy early Mother's Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I hope you'll leave one for me! Have a great day!