Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What a busy weekend!

Whoa.  We've been busy lately!  This weekend was no different!  We were extremely busy, but it was so great!  On Friday night, we went to a fish fry at my parents' house.  The fish was delicious and the company was great.  We played some bean bags and just hung out for a while.  Later that evening, as a big storm was rolling in, we got a 'wild hair' and we all jumped on the 4-wheeler and the Bad Boy (a glorified golf cart) and into a couple of cars, drove down the road, and jumped out in the field.  My parents live out in the country- gravel road, woods all around, fields, wildlife, etc.  Anyway, all 15 of us ran into the field, chose the perfect big, round hay bale sitting on the edge of a hill, and gave it a big shove!  We always talked and joked about rolling hay bales, wondering just how far they would roll.  We finally found out!  Surprisingly, they didn't roll very far... but it was so fun!  We ran back to our vehicles, crowded on, and raced back to the house just as the rain was starting to fall.

When we got back to the house, it was just starting to pour.  We ran in for cover.  We started reminiscing about the old days when we used to have 'wimp contests' during rainstorms.  It is a pretty easy concept- lay out flat on the deck in the pouring rain and see who can stand it the longest.  Before we knew it, four of us were laying in the rain- Dad, me, my sister, Haley, and our neighbor girl, Kasey.  We all quit at the same time, but I was told that if we were to be judged on form, it would be a tie between Dad and I.  We laid the flattest and the most still.  :)  That was Friday night.

Misbehaving in the 'old' schoolhouse.
Saturday wasn't nearly as eventful.  I went to Pepin, Wisconsin with my Mom, sister Haley, sister Holly (not nuns... siblings), Niece Autumn, Nephew Wiley, Brennan, and Haley's boyfriend, Joe.  We went to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder house and museum.  I am a HUGE Little House fan, so I was very excited!  There wasn't much to look at in the museum, but looking at the little house was pretty cool.  It's crazy to think about how modestly people used to live.

After we were done 'touring' the house we headed to Ellsworth, Wisconsin to tour the creamery.  Unfortunately, we found out when we got there that they no longer do tours!  We just bought some cheese curds and headed back home.  We had some delicious pizza for lunch and then Brennan and I went back to our house to help Ryan clean and get ready for our Fourth of July party.  That was Saturday.

On Sunday, since we had already gone to church on Thursday night, we got moving right away in the morning getting things prepared for our party.  In the afternoon, we went out boating with our friends Helene and Joe.  We had such a fantastic time!  Ryan got to try knee boarding for the first time and really liked it.  The water was pretty choppy, so I decided that I'll try it another day!  We all did a little swimming in the lake to cool off.  The sun sure was hot!  I got a bit burnt on my back even after applying SPF 30.  Guess I need a thicker coat next time.  Brennan had a great time playing with all of the stuff in the boat and honking the horn.  That was Sunday.

Finally, the big day was here- Independence Day!  As I mentioned in a previous post, every year we host a Fourth of July party.  This year was no different.  We had 41 of our closest friends and family over for a grill-out.  We played bean bags and rodeo golf, and bocce ball, the babies enjoyed a good splash in the kiddie pool, the older kids set off fireworks, and everyone had a lot of fabulous food to eat.  It was a great time, once again.  Just before dark, we walked three blocks down to the lake for the fireworks show.  Brennan was not afraid at all.  In fact, the fireworks really caught his attention.  My sister, Holly, even downloaded an air horn app onto her iPhone so that Brennan could honk at the ones he liked!  I'm sure the people sitting next to us were thrilled!  It was a great evening and I couldn't wait to finally crawl in bed and go to sleep!  That was Monday.

Neighbor Kasey, and cousins, Christi & Megan.
Brennan with Grandpa and Grandma Anderson.
Autumn, Wiley, and Evan running away after lighting fireworks.
Dad and Haley playing bean bags with their respective partners:
...Ryan and Haley.
Autumn and Wiley having a sparkler sword fight.
Bro-in-law, Chad, and his beer pocket.
Brennan and I at the fireworks.
The rest of the family watching fireworks.

Needless to say, Ryan and I are just beat after our crazy 3-day weekend!  I can't wait to hit the hay again tonight!  I hope you all had a great weekend, as well!


  1. Looks like you all had a blast! Hope you get some rest...

  2. Great photos, it looked like a fun packed weekend indeed...."beer pocket" LOL!

  3. Wowzers, you did have a busy weekend! Great pics of the fireworks. I couldn't get any decent ones with my camera. We like to play bean bags (otherwise known as Cornhole) at the campground. Glad you had a happy 4th.


I LOVE comments! I hope you'll leave one for me! Have a great day!