Sunday, July 10, 2011

Here's a Strawberry Shortcake Recipe You'll Love!

I made a quick mention about my Mom's strawberry shortcake in yesterday's strawberry post (if you haven't read it, it's here... and it's funny!).  After I reread my post, I thought, "I really need to share that recipe!" So, without further ado, here it is!

Susie's Strawberry Shortcake

2 cups all-purpose four
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup light cream (half and half)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
Strawberries- these can be fresh or frozen, mashed or sliced.

In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt.  Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or large fork until mixture resemble coarse crumbs.  Combine the egg and light cream; add all at once to flour mixture, stirring with for just to moisten.  Spread dough in a greased 9 inch round baking pan or a greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan, building up edges slightly.  Bake in a 450 degree oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.  Allow to cool slightly.


Place sliced or mashed strawberries into a small bowl and add sugar to taste.


Cut and serve shortcake topped with strawberries.  You may optionally add milk or cream to your shortcake and top with whipped cream, as well.


I hope you all give this a try!  It is the perfect summer dessert!  Enjoy!  Let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I hope you'll leave one for me! Have a great day!