Wednesday, November 27, 2013

30 Days of Gratitude: Day 27

Today, I'm thinking a little abstract.  I am thankful for my life's circumstances.  So much of life is basically predetermined for us.  I'm not saying that I believe that every single thing is preplanned for us. I think we are given choices and have opportunities to change the path and direction that our lives take.  But I also believe that in many cases and situations, you don't have a lot to say or do to change anything. 

I'm thankful that I was born in a free country where we have rights, opportunities, and a chance for a great life.  I was born to loving, caring parents who took amazing care of me and kept me safe from all of the dangers life presents.  I have never been a victim of any sort of abuse. I have always had a place to live, clothes to wear, food to eat, and people whom I love to love me back.  I consider the amount of personal tragedy I have faced to be very minimal. I've lost a few grandparents, which isn't enjoyable, but I look at it as a blessing as they had all lived full lives and were ready to move on to the next stage.  Other than grandparents, the only real tragedies I've faced were all of unborn, stillborn, babies or babies that didn't survive past birth- my stillborn twin sisters, a stillborn niece, my own miscarriage, the miscarriage of a niece or nephew, and the loss of my nephew minutes after his full term birth.

But consider those born under much worse circumstances.  Some people in poor countries have no means to provide for themselves or their families.  They live in tents or huts.  They have no heat or A/C.  They don't have enough food or clothing.  Many don't even have fresh water.  The have governments who abuse power.  Many face dangers everyday that we don't even think about.  Children are sold into slavery or bought/taken by human traffickers.  Some kids are forced into work camps, actually being sold by their parents who really have no other choice and need money to take care of their other kids.  Some of these poor kids lose both of their parents at an extremely early age and are forced to become the parents for their siblings even though they are still kids themselves.  One of the most horrible situations I can think of is happening in North Korea.  Tons of people are being held against there will in unspeakable situations because of the awful relations between North and South Korea.  I'm not even going to go into detail because it physically upsets me.  I saw a documentary on TV and it has changed me forever...

So, to sum this up, I'm not trying to be depressing.  That wasn't my goal with this post.  But I want us all to realize that sometimes in life we don't have choices.  We need to take what is dealt to us and try to find the good in it.  I'm just thankful everyday the my problems and related to my home networking system or a leak in the plumbing and not something like any of the people I previously mentioned need to face every minute of everyday.  Remember to say a prayer for those people... or many prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! I hope you'll leave one for me! Have a great day!