Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Our Mayo Consult

Today we had a consultation at Mayo Clinic regarding our hopes to do a VBAC delivery for this baby.  Overall, I think it went pretty well!  The basic idea behind this appointment was for them to meet me and make sure I am an ideal candidate for a VBAC attempt.  As luck (or blessing) would have it, I am! 

First we met with a nurse to go over my medical history, etc.  Then they sent us for an ultrasound.  This was actually the 4th ultrasound we've had now during this pregnancy.  Not surprisingly, everything still looks very good.  Our little girl is very, very active.  The ultrasound technician kept commenting about how wiggly she is and that most babies are starting to cool down a little by this point in the pregnancy!  I guess ours is taking after her brother!  She is currently 32 weeks, 3 pounds 13 ounces, and very cute, if I do say so myself.

Lastly, we met with a doctor.  He was able to answer a few of our questions regarding delivery at Mayo and basically set my mind at ease a little after our last very difficult delivery.  He told me that I was really dealt a bad hand last time and that he would be shocked to see things go that badly again.  That feels nice to hear!  He definitely agrees with me that staying awake for this delivery is a great goal and they are going to do everything in their power to make that happen.

We are going to have one more appointment with them at 36 weeks to go over some of the final details- at least the ones that can be planned for.  They gave me a birth plan to fill out and we'll go over that at the next appointment, as well.

Anyway, that's about all we really covered.  I think this is more of a standard procedure type thing than a really important appointment, but it did feel good just to get things squared away a little.  I was quite proud of myself, too.  The idea of delivering at such a big hospital has really been creeping me out since I'm used to the tiny hometown scene, but I handled everything (the parking ramp, finding my way around, meeting new doctors, etc.) really well.  Hopefully the delivery itself goes as nice and as smoothly as today did!  Keep your fingers crossed and feel free to send some thoughts and prayers this way!  :) 

And if you weren't already sick enough of my ultrasound pictures, I have a few more to share!

Here you can see the baby's hand, complete with 4 fingers.  Does it look like she's sucking her thumb?  I think maybe!

Here are her two little feet!  You can see her skinny little ankles and feet pushing on Mama.

Here you can see the tip of her nose and her lips.  I think they look quite feminine in this one!  Pouty, in fact...

Her heart is working great!  It was thumping away at 149 beats per minute during this measurement.

1 comment:

  1. Aww that is such good news! And she is looking quite cute I have to say.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! I hope you'll leave one for me! Have a great day!