Friday, October 14, 2011

Ma's Delicious Homemade Apple Pie Recipe!

Anyone who tries my Mom's apple pie agrees about one thing.  It is about the best apple pie they've ever had!

Well, with Autumn definitely here and the apple season at its peak, I thought that this would be the perfect time to share this wonderful recipe!

First, it's a good idea to prepare your filling.

Apple Pie Filling-
6 to 8 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Dash ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp. butter

Mix all ingredients except butter, cover, and set aside.

Now that your filling is ready and waiting, it is time to work on your crust.

Pie Crust-
2 cups sifted flour
1tsp. salt
2/3 cups shortening
5 to 7 Tbsp. cold water

Sift flour and salt together; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until pieces are the size of small peas.  Sprinkle water 1 Tbsp. at a time over the mixture, mixing just until dough starts to clump together.

Divide dough into portions and roll out so that the dough accommodates the size of your pan.


You can see the wheat decoration used for escaping steam.
Place bottom crust into pie pan.  Next, add the filling to the pan.  Divide butter into several pieces and place them on top of the filling.  Top with unbaked pie crust topper and press edges together.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  Poke several holes to allow steam to escape (or use the tip of a knife to poke a pretty design in the top that serves the same purpose, but looks more gorgeous...).  Bake for 50 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.  Remove and enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. I would love to make this, but the crust always scares me away... I normally buy the frozen pre-made kinds. I know, such an insult to your mom!n I will try your version and let you know how it goes. It looks beautiful and seems easy enough to follow. Thanks for sharing... now it's no longer a family secret! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... the crust is definitely what makes this pie! Don't be afraid... it isn't hard. Definitely let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! I hope you'll leave one for me! Have a great day!